Skip to main content

Our firm is new to Karbon coming from Thomson Reuters’ Practice CS. 

We heavily utilized “Received Date” in Practice CS, meaning that is the date we got the tax information, and the work could be started. Is there a field or option to select a specific date to begin the work in Karbon? I realize you can change the tracking to “ready to prepare”, but is there a way to see exactly what date the info came in? 

Also, in Practice CS, every client was setup with an entity type and Year End. The project templates would automatically populate the initial due date as well as update the extension due date once the project was marked on extension. Can Karbon populate deadline/due dates based off the FYE? 

I saw a link published by Karbon saying it is better than Practice CS, but no information to follow up on likenesses or differences. 

Would love any suggestions. 

Hi @Sarah Jane Sartor, welcome to Karbon and the Karbon community! 😁

We also came from TR Practice CS to Karbon with a brief stopover at OfficeTools. We love Karbon compared to those products, but I will warn you that it’s a mental shift and takes some time to get used to the new tools and a new way to control work.

One weakness of Karbon is the lack an accepted or received date. Since Karbon added the deadline date, you are able to use automations to change the deadline date to track first-in-first out work. Otherwise, we use the work statuses to keep track of the work.

Others here will probably have a lot of good advice around how they manage their firm’s work.