Question

Power BI Resources

• 6 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
  • Sr. Community Champion
  • 338 replies

I have recently been assigned to start working with Power Bi for our firm to pull reports.  Does anyone have any great training videos or articles to share? Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There’s so much to learn. Do you have LinkedIn Learning or Udemy or something similar? If not, I would recommend enrolling in an online course at a local college. PowerBi is accessible, but it’s also esoteric.

I assume you are accessing Karbon’s pre-modeled data, is that correct? If so, that will save you the trip down the Power Query rabbit hole.

If you already have modeled data, then your focus will be on creating meaningful measures and incorporating those measures into charts.

There are hundreds of hours of great youtube content, stack overflow posts, blog posts, etc., that cover it, but I recommend starting with the Youtube Channel called Guy in a Cube. I learned many things from these two.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes, Our firm has the Karbon Intelligence package.  The person at our firm in charge of learning to use it has left and I have been tagged to learn how to get the most out of our data.  I have watched and read a few articles from Microsoft so far.  Our Karbon contact also gave me a couple of video links I plan on watching today.  I meet with him tomorrow and would like to have a basic understanding of what is going on.

I appreciate the video link.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@DianeK You can also check out the How to Power BI channel. He has really cool tips.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@davideigner  Thank you for the recommendation.  There are some really good resources there.  I appreciate you taking the time to share.

@max  Thank you for the YouTube link.  I watched it yesterday and it was very helpful.  I appreciate the recommendation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi,

Am I better off taking a course on Power BI on Udemy etc.? Or should I start with Microsoft’s teaching on this (will it get me somewhere)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Joel Breier  I started with Microsoft.  They have some training videos to help you get started.  You can download files for a fake company and follow along with the video to learn the software.  I found it very helpful.  I also did their free Power Bi Dashboards in a day training.

Here is the link for the tutorial video.  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-getting-started

If you are using Karbon’s service, they create all the workbooks for you using your data.  They create visuals and help you customize the reports for your specific needs. Once you understand the software, the workbooks Karban provides can be used to get you the answers you need from your data.  It has been a fantastic experience so far.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you @DianeK