Question

Once a task is completed - how can a colleague be alerted that it has been completed?

• 29 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Once a task is completed in a work flow - which has an automator set to change the work status to ‘completed’ - is there any way of alerting a colleague that is has been completed - sort of an automator that can email a colleague?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I don’t think this is possible at this time.  A couple of solutions might be:

• Have the person add the work item to their My Week.  Once it has been completed, it will show as completed in their My Week.
  • Make a work view that shows only completed work filtered by the assignee.  You could have it set to show all completed work within a specific time frame.

Hi Kathi,

To handle this our current team just uses the @ feature to send a comment to the team member who needs to be alerted. I am with DianeK; not sure that there is an automator that could accomplish this currently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I agree with Diane and Robert that it’s not possible at this stage and we comment someone to notify them of progress (usually if they are the next in line to need to do something..).

Diane’s suggestion of a Work view to review Work items completed in a specific time frame would be best. You could even add Completed (date) as a column and sort by that (most recent first).

The only tricky thing is which dropdown to choose.. it would be nice if there was one that meant “in the last month/week” so it was the last 7 days or 30ish days, rather than this/last (which are more limiting - drastically changing the breadth of the filter, depending on which day of the week/month you run the Work view - does that make sense? 😅)

This needs to be a feature. @Karbon Trainer 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Once a task is completed in a work flow - which has an automator set to change the work status to ‘completed’ - is there any way of alerting a colleague that is has been completed - sort of an automator that can email a colleague?

Sounds like a problem that a quick zap could solve 😁.  @max With you working knowledge of the Zapier/Karbon relationship, could you create a zap based on these parameters?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Great question! The short answer is that it’s possible, but the native integration between Karbon and Zappier only includes contact information right now. Zappier does handle web hooks, but I think it would be expensive, especially the way Karbon webhooks work. Every webhook would need to be inspected and another API call made to Karbon to get more details, then action taken based on the response. Every time a work item is updated, this loop would run.

It would be cheaper to run this in an Azure Logic App or Function App.

I haven’t tested this, but wouldn’t it be possible to accomplish the same thing by adding an automation to the step where the work status is changed to ‘Completed’ to assign it the person who needs to be notified. They should get a Triage notification at that point.

If you’re using a template, this last assignment automation can be assigned by role, so when setting up the work, it’ll trigger you to pick a specific person for the work item. That same person will be assigned if it’s a recurring work item, but could be changed at the role level in the future.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

• Have the person add the work item to their My Week.  Once it has been completed, it will show as completed in their My Week.
  • Make a work view that shows only completed work filtered by the assignee.  You could have it set to show all completed work within a specific time frame.

@Quynh Ngo This might be the best option for us until Karbon makes it possible to assign different roles to one work item

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Quynh Ngo This might be the best option for us until Karbon makes it possible to assign different roles to one work item

I might be misunderstanding your statement, but it’s currently possible to assign multiple roles to the same work item.