Solved

My Week: Completing tasks

• 4 November 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

When I click on a Work instance in My Week, I see what looks like a checklist with the related tasks. When I click a checkbox to mark the task completed, I’m instead taken to the main page of the Work instance, which disrupts the flow and purpose of using My Week. Is what I’m thinking should happen not the intended use?

icon

Best answer by max 4 November 2021, 16:58

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Jeremy!

Welcome to the Karbon community.

My Weeks is designed to help you organize your work week. It’s similar in some ways to a to-do list, but it works differently than the Karbon to-do list in that nothing you do in My Week impacts the actual work.

It makes things a little simpler in that there’s only one place to mark tasks as complete… in the work item (or on the email or note, etc.). My Week is simply there to help you know what work items you should be opening and working.

Does that make sense?

Here’s a video about it that might be helpful:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Got it @max, thanks! Perhaps making it more functional would help then; e.g., checking off tasks, adding a note, or reassigning/resetting due date in My Week. Basically not making it where I have to jump back and forth between My Week to Work/To do.

Also, when I go to mark tasks done, and come back to My Work, the filtering resets, so if I’m only looking at Overdue Payroll Work, when I come back to My Work, that filter is reset to all. Another reason to make My Work more functional.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@Jeremy Wells Great ideas and feedback!  And I agree, having a little more functionality would make the workflow flow easier and minimize clicks.

On the left menu in Karbon, click Help & Feedback, and then submit your ideas above on the “Have an Idea” section.  This is monitored regularly and Karbon really does discuss these suggestions internally to see if they can add to their product timelines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Also, when I go to mark tasks done, and come back to My Work, the filtering resets, so if I’m only looking at Overdue Payroll Work, when I come back to My Work, that filter is reset to all. Another reason to make My Work more functional.

LOL, this happens all over Karbon so what I have gotten in the habit doing is holding ctrl and clicking on the things I want to open (cmd + click on a Mac). This will open the item in a new tab and save my filters/position.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi Jeremy (and Max). I am pleased to let you know that you can now mark tasks as complete from the Overlay! Check out the latest product update for more information and let me know what you think! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have a question about this new feature. If a team member opens the overlay of a job and marks it complete, even if a step before it that is with another team member is not complete, how will that affect my automation in the work item?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I have a question about this new feature. If a team member opens the overlay of a job and marks it complete, even if a step before it that is with another team member is not complete, how will that affect my automation in the work item?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I do not believe that automation works when completing tasks from the pop-over card.

One option is to use ctrl/cmd + click to open the work item in a new window and work from there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi there. You can mark tasks complete from the overlay and they will trigger automators if the task you complete also completes the section. You can’t mark the work as complete from My Week and instead need to do this from the work item. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

My question is more so that if a team member completes a task of theirs that is not ‘ready to start’ because previous task sections aren’t complete, will it throw out the automators?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

My question is more so that if a team member completes a task of theirs that is not ‘ready to start’ because previous task sections aren’t complete, will it throw out the automators?

The interaction will be the same as if they marked a task that is not ready to start from the work item. If you are concerned, we would recommend asking your team click through to the work item. The overlay does show if there are any tasks assigned to others before or after the tasks assigned to you. I’m happy to discuss it further if its not clear - just feel free to send me a private message. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

My Week organizes work based on the work status, so you could have an automation move the work to the next status when the previous section is done.

This would let the following staff know that they should only work on items that have a status relating to their role.

For instance, our work generally flows this way

1. Pre-admin (prepare and send document request)
  2. Waiting: Client Documents
  3. Document Prep
  4. Ready: Prep
  5. Prep
  6. Ready: Review
  7. Review
  8. Ready: Process
  9. Process
  10. Waiting: Client Signatures
  11. Ready: File
  12. File
  13. Completed
  14. Billed

An automation changes the work status as each staff member (or the client) marks their tasks as complete.

Our admin team only processes items that are in the status “Ready: Process”

Does that make sense?