More Control of normal user's access

• 7 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear peers, I would like to understand your practice and logic of Karbon in managing access of the users to some certain change in key job management information.

Facts:

• work assignee do not have experiences and authority to decide the start date and due date of a work. In my firm, manager decide who work on which work, and in what time frame.

However, in Karbon, all users are able to change everything in a work setting, budget, fee, declines, starting date. It is becoming messy and lack of control/supervision and we cannot measure the result (say deadline meeting status) for each staff, since it is just one click for them to move the deadline or other information. 

I would like to understand how other peer firm is monitoring and controlling this? What is Karbon’s management logic behind this? I understand Karbon may encourage open and transparent work culture. But without saying dishonesty of team member, junior team member normally only does the work and have basic technical skills, but lack of job management skills and knowledge/experience in determine priority of things. So what you do and think?

Mike 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@MikeLiang I think this would be a great feature request - being able to assign different levels of access would also give the members of the team confidence.  I have had team members not correct obvious errors for fear of messing things up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Mike,

We try hard to have a collaborative culture, which is easier in a small firm like ours, so that we don’t need to physically or technically control what people are doing. Instead, we handle process control through a ton of policy communication and regular coaching.

My biggest request from the Karbon team would be that people are not allowed to delete work or delete documents as we have had some unintended consequences from misunderstandings that resulted in lost data.

Does that help at all?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Victoria Peters  thanks for echoing this. 

@max I understand that and that is good to hear. We are a collaborate firm, and we are having 10 people and are growing. For current stage, it may be arguably fine, but for larger size we are going to grow into, and also for the recently high turnover of staff, it is very hard to leave everything open and being managed by every staff. It is not about trust, it is about the experience, knowledge level and efficiency. Additionally, we do have a lot legacy clients (corporation clients, rather than more casual small business), They have high requirement on clearance on timelines, quality of work, etc. I see certain level of control (like decide who can move deadline, who can change work budget etc.) is very necessary. I am glad to hear you have the needs of preventing deleting work and files without approval. The spirit of my request from Karbon are of the same nature as yours. 

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m a big fan of error proofing… making it impossible for someone to make a mistake, so I completely understand what you are saying.

For us, right now, it’s not an issue, but I can see it being more useful as both our firms grow.