Question

Managing client emails

• 2 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We’re looking for a way to better track client emails that need to be reviewed during the time of the month end close.

We have one client that has multiple entities and sends a ton of emails. There are so many emails, this client even has their own inbox/user in Karbon. 

I will explain out current process in hopes that maybe there are better suggestions out there:

I currently work on reviewing the clients emails. Each email gets assigned to the month-end close work item for the applicable entity - but there are a bunch of emails that get assigned to the month-end work item. Not ALL emails on the month-end work item need to be addressed by the accounting team during the month-end close. Currently, we have a group in Karbon of the 2 employees who work on this particular client. And whenever there’s an email that will be needed during the close-out, we tag that team in the comments - but unfortunately doing so floods the client teams triages. We’re looking for a better solution on how we can track those emails without flooding the client teams triage. Pinning the emails is not an ideal solution for us. 

Looking for/open to any suggestions out there! Thanks in advance 😊

Deana

3 replies

Hi Deana,

Have they tried the Triage Filters yet? 

You can continue @mentioning them for the client emails and as long as they filter their triage by ‘email’ they won’t see them until they filter by ‘mentions.’ We use that for the boss because he receives an anxiety inducing amount of email and our internal communication was getting lost in all the noise. Now we @mention him, he filters by ‘mentions’ a couple times a day and it has really helped. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Triage filters a good idea 🙂

I think this is one of those exceptions that may require a workaround outside of Karbon.

Here’s an idea of what I might try:

1. When received, rather than tagged to the normal job timeline (in Karbon), could be segregated.
  2. Have a shared EOM Excel Sheet.
  3. Copy the link to the email and paste in the sheet.
  4. If appropriate, add comment as to what needs to happen to the email at EOM.
  5. Alternatively to above, could have sections in sheet (e.g. Review email, Save attachments, Process X) and paste email link directly under that section heading.
  6. Maybe could be done using Notes in Karbon (suspect Excel easier to manage).
Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Are you changing the status of the emails and assigning? If you assign and use status, then you could use To-Dos/Assignments to find them a bit easier. If you don’t want to assign to a specific person, either because that will also blow up Triage, or because it could be multiple people, you could create a dummy user to assign the emails to. You should then be able to go to the To-Do list for that user, see any emails that are incomplete, and action from there. 

Not sure about Assignments as we aren’t using it, but To-Dos lets you see another user’s to-do list, and then group by work item.