Solved

karbon time - no start and stop times in record

• 11 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello all!  We are wanting to move towards use of the time, budgets and future billing features of karbon.  When we moved to karbon a year ago we also moved to QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Time for our time and billing process.  For various reasons billing in QuickBooks Online is not working well for us.  The main reason we did not initially go with karbon for time was the lack of seeing and editing start and stop times, only having time duration.  How do other firms work around this?  It seems for DOL purposes that we should have a record of when an employee starts work and ends for the day and has a lunch break, etc.  Do you use karbon timeclock for limited purposes and use another app for time for payroll, etc.?  Or, am I missing something?  Is there a workaround to track/notate the start and stop times?

I think I need to show other managers in our firm the positives of having the time entered in karbon for productivity and budget measurement and planning purposes, but I will need to explain and understand how we still meet our need to look at time for other functional purposes.

icon

Best answer by max 11 November 2022, 17:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Terri Svihla, we use Karbon time and billing exported to QBO and send invoices from there. It depends on your work force, I think, but many firms have done away with time entirely. I don’t think that’s possible with hourly staff.

I’m not aware of any requirements (here in the states) for recording start and stop times, just time worked. Our staff is small, and we have a pretty good coaching culture, so we don’t really need to look at when people start or stop their time. We’re actually trying to get staff work fewer hours, lol.

I don’t know if that helps. It’s just how we approach it here. 😀

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @max!  I do have almost an entirely hourly paid staff.  I will have to look further at your idea of exporting time and billing to QBO.  It would be great to cut out QB Time. But, I am looking forward to getting away from billing in QBO ASAP.  I will still use it for payroll though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Billing is still in beta, I believe, but it works pretty well. Much better than QBT, which is objectively terrible.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@max sorry if I posted this twice, but do you export your time from karbon by creating an excel file with time entries and then importing that to QBO, or is there a more direct method of sending the time over?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Karbon billing currently transforms the time into an invoice import file for QBO. It’s still in beta.