Solved

Is it possible to keep an old users name on all past work, after name has been changed?

• 22 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We use generic emails (office@ etc) which are used for our Users in Karbon. When an employee leaves, we will disconnect the user and related email. However, when we have a new employee start we will allocate them an email from a past employee. The user is then updated with the new employee’s name and details, using the existing email.

This will then overwrite all of the past comments, work etc that had been allocated and completed by the past employee. Eg. “Jane” commented on 01/01/2021, will then change from “Jane” to the new name “David”. Is there a way to have the past name “Jane” remain on all the past work and comments, but all new work and comments be from “David”?

icon

Best answer by max 22 February 2022, 08:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hello @CBC-Office! Welcome to the Karbon community. 

One way around your problem (and, I would argue, a better practice in general) would be to associate each of your new employees with their own email address and then set them up with your generic emails as aliases.

Alternatively, you could set them up individually and then assign them to a shared mailbox (O365), and have Karbon make a similar change to allow staff to interact from the shared mailbox address.

You can contact Karbon to add your alias emails to your new staff and they will be able to interact with clients as “office@“, but will be David and Jane, respectively, inside Karbon. 

This is similar to what we do at our firm, though with a shared mailbox to which new staff get added and removed as they come in and out of the department. 

Does that help at all?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks @max ! That is actually a great idea to set up with the alias emails. I will actually run this past my manager/director for their thoughts on using something similar to this in practice. I am the company’s Karbon champion & administration, but I love reading all the ideas from the community to see how these would benefit how we use Karbon internally. 

At the present moment we have been operating new employees as above, using the same email but changing the users name. And while there is an external spreadsheet with a timeline of who was the user for which email, it would be nice to have this easily reflected inside Karbon. Even if we change to alias going forward, this still leaves all the past changes to not be easily reflected in Karbon.

But thanks again for the suggestion! I will definitely pass that on!