Question

Is it possible to assign to a Team instead of just to a Colleague?

• 17 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Is it possible to assign to a Team instead of just to a Colleague?

We have a few different Teams, for a mix of Client Teams, Department Teams etc. and it would be helpful if emails or tasks could be assigned to the Team as a whole instead of the individual (to start). This process happens already in some cases using the Team Tag. However, would work better with our processes if tasks or Work could be assigned to a Team (think repeat work/task creation) then can be assigned to the individual from here.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @CBC-Office 

It is not possible to assign to a team the way you can assign to a colleague.

I have learned through this community that you can create a ‘colleague’ or a fake person for this function.  The assignment would not show up in everyone’s Triage but with the correct Dashboard any team member could see what has been assigned.

Beyond that Karbon has this functionality on it’s Roadmap - I think it has been delayed but if you have not already you could vote - the Karbon production team does pay attention.  This would be in the form of a Team Inbox - here is the link for this feature idea.

Have a great day,

V

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I understand the theory around needing to assign to a team vs one individual. But there are cautions to consider in something dropping because you lose sight of the work or todo.

It has been my experience that when you assign to a fake colleague, you have to be very disciplined in the Work View and you still have to create a note you are following on MyWeek or task that is assigned to track and plan. Otherwise it is very very easy to lose sight of it.

We have moved away from this on client work and instead, embraced the intention of assignees as the one person that will ensure all the work is completed. Such as the project manager, accountant, etc. Typically the one with the relationship ownership of the client. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Terri Warren YES!  Very good point!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Very good point @Terri Warren I do understand how easy it could be to loose track of ownership with the fake colleague. I do think it might be worth discussing for the functionality it may bring to our teams (specifically admin & the work that is always very flexible in its assigning).

Thanks @Victoria Peters This has at least given us something to think about. I have also voted on the shared inbox, this could be VERY useful for invoices for bookkeeping work.

I had mostly been hoping this could have been a feature for tasks more so than work, which would then appear on the work/to do for all members of the team. We have a few admin tasks at the end of checklists. Think mailing items to client, calling client to collect, filing etc. These are more general tasks & don’t need to be done by a specific member of our admin team. Would be nice to have these tasks assigned to the Team as a whole & then when one of the admins are filing they then either assign these tasks to themselves or just mark these as completed. Which would remove them from the to do list for all the other admins.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Very good point @Terri Warren I do understand how easy it could be to loose track of ownership with the fake colleague. I do think it might be worth discussing for the functionality it may bring to our teams (specifically admin & the work that is always very flexible in its assigning).

My role is mostly internal and I fully understand this. Happy to share my experience and chat about it anytime. I’ll send you a direct message. Book if you are interested.