Question

Individual Contact as Organization?

• 10 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Does anyone have individual clients set up as organizations? We have been operating fine with them as a contact until our recent integration with SuiteFiles. “Contacts” do not sync externally from Karbon, but Orgs do. Before we go through the whole list of our individual tax playing clients and make them into identical existing organizations, I would love to know if anyone has knowledge regarding this. Would a contact having the same name as an organization present any workflow issues?

Otherwise for context our current setup is:

• Individual tax client = Contact - “Client - Individual Tax”
  • Joint tax clients (individually, i.e. First, Last) = Contact - “Client”
    • Joint tax clients (joint) = Org - “Client - Joint Tax” (both contacts from above linked to this org and work done at this level)
  • Businesses - Org - “Client - Business entity type”
  • Client Groups are created for anyone with more than one organization and we put all orgs and contacts under client group for visibility of work items, associated contact info, etc.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Otherwise for context our current setup is:

• Individual tax client = Contact - “Client - Individual Tax”
  • Joint tax clients (individually, i.e. First, Last) = Contact - “Client”
    • Joint tax clients (joint) = Org - “Client - Joint Tax” (both contacts from above linked to this org and work done at this level)
  • Businesses - Org - “Client - Business entity type”
  • Client Groups are created for anyone with more than one organization and we put all orgs and contacts under client group for visibility of work items, associated contact info, etc.

This is how we have our clients structured.

We have a few situations where an individual is an org (adult dependent child needing a return). There are some in our firm that don’t catch the nuance of the circle vs square avatar icon, so sometimes things go to contacts when they go to orgs. You also lose the ability to link the contact to an org if it’s already an org.

Thank you Max. The circle vs. square icons makes sense and is a good heads up.. haven’t needed to utilize the difference until now. I do believe though by making an individual a contact first and then an org, we can still link the contact to their (same named) org. As long as we are careful about who gets sent/assigned what, I couldn’t think of any other issues. Appreciate the quick response!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m curious how you make out with it. Would you post an update after you’ve got it working the way you want?

Badge

Following. We are in the same situation. Singles are people and couples/families/businesses are Orgs. So orgs are connected to SF but the People are not.

A fun thing I read/heard somewhere that stuck with me for the differences that may help is;

Circles look like faces = people  

Squares look like buildings = organizations

Just a fun little thing to help teams remember the differences.