Question

Importing WIP/Time balances when starting Karbon timesheets

• 21 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We are planning to migrate to Karbon timesheets from 1 July.

How did everyone deal with the outstanding WIP in their previous timesheet systems?

Did you transfer it to Karbon or just run 2 WIP reports until the old time was all written off?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Good question @Imbi Finlayson! 🙂

We didn’t have this as first started timesheets in Karbon, but I would expect it is difficult to add detailed time to Karbon for prior periods and would probably run 2 WIP reports until old system all written off.

The downside to this being your Billing in Karbon won’t make sense - may look like you recovered more than 100% in most cases - but maybe you could add an Expense ”Opening WIP balance - 1 Jul 2023” (I’m not sure how this would work practically though when it comes to billing part of it or whether you can write off, etc) 

Userlevel 1

I’m also wondering about this. Is it possible to add a “dummy” team member and post a massive timesheet with WIPS from old system there?

Userlevel 1

Quick update, we ended up posting as an expense for each client at 30/06/22. This way, the $ amount can be seen on the Unbilled items for the client and picked up on invoicing.

It was very manual but better than running 2 systems. It would be a great addition to be able to bring these “expenses” or opening WIP in in a bulk way when people bring amounts in from previous software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Quick update, we ended up posting as an expense for each client at 30/06/22. This way, the $ amount can be seen on the Unbilled items for the client and picked up on invoicing.

It was very manual but better than running 2 systems. It would be a great addition to be able to bring these “expenses” or opening WIP in in a bulk way when people bring amounts in from previous software.

Thanks for sharing @Erica Elliott 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Imbi Finlayson @SamG @Erica Elliott we are doing some research into this topic at present, jump in here if you can: