Question

If a client changes email addresses - do you delete the email or leave it there for historical purposes?

• 29 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  • Sr. Karbon Community Guide
  • 825 replies

If a client has an email address (A) and then changes to a new email address (B) and asks you to use that one going forward - what do you do in Karbon?

I like to encourage the saving of all email addresses that we correspond with (i.e. real people, not necessarily email addresses from auto-generated emails).

We can delete the email address A, which reduces the risk of it being used in the future, when it shouldn’t. But then it’ll look like it’s an email address we haven’t saved (and we have no way of knowing why, so may save it again in future).

If I keep the email address, how can I show it shouldn’t be used?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@SamG we struggle with this as well. Currently, we’ve been adding notes to the timeline, communicating it to the team, removing the email address from Karbon and in some instances asking the Karbon support team to delete the email address from our internal memory so that no one is seeing that email as a suggested option. This is not a fool-proof system for sure and I would love to hear how others tackle this issue. I would also love to have some sort of way to delineate specific emails for specific purposes, as we have customers who request different emails be used for different things, but no way to note that in the contact cards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Kim Clemmer yeah that would also be good.. we have a client who uses three emails to contact us and requests business correspondence go to one and personal go to another one (in the first instance, but sometimes the second one) so have resorted to a not so pretty workaround of using the Role to show which emails are personal and the preference to use them for. 😅

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

love this hack @SamG — I will definitely start to implement this! Thank you for sharing :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We prepend DNU (as in Do Not Use) to the name in some cases. We also do this in other places in Karbon, e.g. creating a team we can use for filtering, but we don’t want anyone to actually tag everyone in the team and spam Triage 🤣 we’ve also had some issues (that we’ve raised to support) with deleting or unlinking groups, so we’ve taken to adding DNU to those names as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Interesting idea @Rebecca Williams, I like the initialism 😉 I don’t want to change the name of the Contact though (in most cases, but especially this one 😅) as it’s only the email address that’s changed (defunct), rather than the whole contact.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Interesting idea @Rebecca Williams, I like the initialism 😉 I don’t want to change the name of the Contact though (in most cases, but especially this one 😅) as it’s only the email address that’s changed (defunct), rather than the whole contact.

O in that case I think we’d set the email up as a whole new contact! We’re not working for individuals though so it’s work item/org tagging that’s important, less so emails to/from specific “people”...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yeah, this is an individual client, so we definitely don’t want two Contacts setup or it would mess up Work and Timeline/communication. Even if it wasn’t a client I’d be very reluctant to have a separate Contact that is the same person 😅 double+ places to look to find past communication/Work