Question

How to run a report for client time tracking

• 28 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello! I am hoping someone may be able to help me. I have tried finding this myself and I can not find an ‘easy’ solution. 

We are a fixed fee firm, however, we do have a handful of clients on an hourly rate agreement that require manual invoicing each month. We have an external billing software we use, and don’t wish to move to Karbon billing. 

Before Karbon, we previously used XPM for our timesheet tracking, and based of these timesheet entries, I could easily pull a standard monthly report in XPM to show - the total time entered per client, over particular dates, for multiple clients. 

Now that we are using Karbon timesheets, and it has come time to do EOM billing, I am struggling to find the equivalent report for this in Karbon. I just need to be able to see all clients at once, the actual time/hours spent on their work (regardless of work status ie completed or WIP), and during a set date period (not for just the month or March, or the last week etc). 

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance, Rinnai :)

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Rinnai Hansen,

Good question 🙂

I would recommend using Karbon Billing in the future, especially if you are using Timesheets in Karbon.

You can even setup your fixed fee work to automate the steps in Karbon Billing. This will enable you to get benefit (reporting) out of the Time Entries you’re adding.

To get the time entries, I’d recommend going to Billing > Unbilled > … > Export WIP Report.

The third sheet is Time Entries and you can filter/sort as you please and also turn into a PivotTable to slice and dice as needed for finding amounts to bill.

Does that help? 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for your quick response.

As I mentioned in the original question, we are not looking or wanting to move to Karbon Billing, as we have another software entirely that handles our client proposals and in turn, manages the associated billing requirements. That software is used for both our fixed fee and hourly rate agreements.

I am seeking a solution that does not require we use Karbon for billing.

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Rinnai Hansen,

@SamG’s recommendation to use the WIP report works as long as you are keeping time in Karbon. You don’t need to use Karbon billing for the report to work.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your response @max and confirmation that the method @SamG recommended still works without having to actually use the billing side.

I did check out the billing section you have mentioned, and do not see an option to use ‘between dates’ ie from 2 March to 28 March, when searching for items to bill. Is there a work around for this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Rinnai Hansen, unfortunately not.. but as the Time Entries sheet of the WIP Report has the time entry date, you can filter/sort that data by date 🙂 (PivotTables work well for this)

Userlevel 1

Thanks @SamG for the suggestion. Much appreciated.