Question

How to edit Client Group(s) for a Work item

• 3 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

There are two issues:

1. How can I add more than one Client Group to a Work item?  I can have multiple Client Groups at the Contact level, but not at the Work item level?
  2. Once a Work item has been created, how can I edit/change the Client Group?  Again, I can edit/change the Client Group at the Contact level, but not at the Work item level?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Stephen Roos,

Good questions 🙂

1. You can’t, that’s correct, a work item can only be associated with one Contact and one Client Group. I’m interested how you are using your client groups that would require you to do this. We have Contacts that are members of multiple client groups but never work that is for multiple (alternative option is to select None).
  2. Same way you change the contact, the group will show below, here are the instructions: https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/1524673-can-i-change-the-contact-for-a-piece-of-work

Does that help?

Userlevel 2
Badge

SamG,

I have been using Client Groups in the traditional way - multiple family members, multiple owners of a company, multiple companies owned by several owners, etc. 

However, I have also been using Client Groups that have a similar set of Work requirements. For example, we have a dozen or so clients that have a specialized type of employee benefit program.  These benefit programs have the same special requirements, such as fiscal year ends, payrolls that occur only once or twice during the year, funding deadlines, etc.  It would have been simple if the payroll Work, for example, could be searched by the “Employee Benefit” Group to see which members still needed to make decisions, while retaining the ability to see the Work status for payroll within the traditional group.

You have caused me to think through this more thoroughly.  Another possible solution is to be a little more creative and extensive with Work Types, and then do searches based on a combination of Client Group and Work Type.  What do you think?

SR

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You have caused me to think through this more thoroughly.  Another possible solution is to be a little more creative and extensive with Work Types, and then do searches based on a combination of Client Group and Work Type.  What do you think?

Absolutely! It sounds like Work Type could be a better way for you to group those and be able to filter by them. And if you’re consistent with the naming of these Work items as well, you can also sort by the Work Name and it will group them together 🙂