Skip to main content

What is the best way to budget time for non-billable work, i.e., provide a time allocation for colleagues that will be doing non-billable work? E.g. are internal management, internal projects, etc. 
I know one can reduce their capacity, but that is a bulk setting per colleague. So if the non-billable work is only for one or two months, the capacity across other time periods will be incorrect.

@Leigh Janse Van Rensburg you could create work items for that work, either one off or recurring, and add a budget to the work.

Rather than decreasing total capacity, it will allocate part of that capacity to the non-billable work.

This has the added benefit of ensuring the work shows in dashboards, you can attach notes/emails/tasks etc. to the work, and time can be tracked against the specific non-billable work.

Thanks @Rebecca Williams. The issue currently is actually that the “budget” to the non-billable work uses a non-billable task type, which means we cannot allocate any time to it. If I try to add a time budget to the NB task type, it won’t save it. 

So I think this means we will have to use a billable task type, and then set up the work type so that we can exclude those work types from the billing. 

@Leigh Janse Van Rensburg that sounds like there might be a bug - I was able to add a non-billable time budget to one of my own internal work items!

I’d suggest reaching out to support to see if they can take a look - what you’re doing looks correct and how I would do it!