Question

How many Work Statuses (Sub-statuses) do you have?

• 24 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  • Sr. Karbon Community Guide
  • 829 replies

We have…

Planned: 3 sub-statuses

Ready to Start: 1 sub-statuses

In Progress: 7 sub-statuses

Waiting: 8 sub-statuses

Completed: 2 sub-statuses

Total - 21 sub-statuses

4 of these are very unique, relate to Sales Work Type only.

Our Annual Compliance/Tax Return Work Types use almost all of these, and then other types of work use only a few.

Sometimes I want to add more but wonder if that’s doing us a disservice, it also makes filtering difficult.

How many do you do? (AU/NZ Weetbix reference)

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @SamG , a LOT.

My two (2) largest are within the In Progress and Waiting parent statuses, topping out at 28 and 14 respectively. I try to ensure the sub-statuses are only added to the work types where needed, forgoing the option to add to all work types when a sub-status is created. I find the more specific I am in the status, the more efficient I can keep work flowing and/or know where work is at when reviewing a Kanban board.

Always a work in process, determining what works and refining.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@SamG Too Many!  We are currently working on pairing down our list and being more intentional with Work & Task uses but with 4 distinct functionalities in Karbon it is a challenge.  We have 36 sub status under In Progress with language that is precise to the Team that created it.  And it is too easy to ‘add to all work types’ @LD7E - I admire your ability to forgo this!

We are working our way through but each team has specific use cases and we use automators to change status in many cases so the full list isn’t in the way.

It is a lot when we get to filtering and we have to be careful that we are getting the full picture of what we are looking for.  On the other hand we can get very specific lists of work without a lot of noise with so many precise sub-status.

I am following this thread for ideas on where we might land with our clean up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@SamG 9/10 nutritionists recommend kids eat Weetbix. And 9/10 accountants recommend kids use Karbon. Probably.

How many do you do? (AU/NZ Weetbix reference)

We have 64 statuses 😬 we could cut this down as there are duplicates that are very similar, but of the work types we’ve gone through a process to review and standardize, I think most only have maybe 10 max? We’ve stopped adding new ones now, and we’ve gone through and ensured each work type only has the necessary statuses. I don’t find it causes any issues in dashboards, except for if we were to view a dashboard covering all work types, in Kanban view with status columns!

Like @Victoria Peters, it gives us a really clear picture of where work is at - a status wouldn’t be used more than once in the flow of a work item, unless it was incomplete and has to move backwards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@LD7E well, good to hear that my two largest parent statuses are the same 😅 agree always a work in progress and I definitely don’t add to all Work types by default either

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Victoria Peters hmm, yes, that is the only way we’ve kept it down. Rather than specific to the team, some are specific to the Work type, which helps to keep it only on that/those specific Work types, others are worded more broad so that you still know where it’s at but it could be used across a couple of different/similar Work types. The filtering is something I’m conscious of not ruining.. it’s always a challenge opening a saved Work view and needing to remember whether filters need updating and how

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@SamG 9/10 nutritionists recommend kids eat Weetbix. And 9/10 accountants recommend kids use Karbon. Probably.

Hahaha, start em young! 😂

I don’t find it causes any issues in dashboards, except for if we were to view a dashboard covering all work types, in Kanban view with status columns!

Oh yeah, I can imagine it would in that instance..

a status wouldn’t be used more than once in the flow of a work item, unless it was incomplete and has to move backwards.

We’ve designed it on an expected-ideal flow (everything we expect to happen normally - ideally only once each - but with generic enough language that if it happens twice it makes sense which status it goes back to)..

Work starts

Queries to Client

Work continues - here it could go back if the answers to client queries lead to more queries or weren’t answered sufficiently

First review (accounts and tax rec)

Working post first review 

Further review (accounts, if any review points, tax return and letter) - here it could go back if issues with tax return or letter, or still issues with accounts