How do you use e-signing/e-signatures?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi all,

As part of building our understanding of which e-signing approaches are used across Karbon customers, we’d love to know more about the tools (such as DocuSign, Adobe Sign, Go Proposal, Ignition, etc) you use to collect signatures and approvals and the workflows in which you use e-signing.

Leave me a message below of send message if you’d like to chat.
Thanks!
Stuart

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Answered the survey. I’m excited to see how you approach e-signing. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Agree with @max!

Badge +1

e-signatures in Karbon would be a game changer for me.  I’ve suffered (and made my clients suffer) Onvio for many years - I can't wait for this to come to Karbon so I can keep all of my client requests and signatures in one place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We use Docusign. Our clients love it, but it’s hard on the staff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We use DocuSign for tax work and Go Proposal for pricing out work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

We use Ignition for everything related to client agreements, but for all other documents, we use RightSignature.  It’s bundled with our Citrix ShareFile subscription, but the nice part is that you can initiate the e-sign on any document stored in ShareFile, and once it’s signed, it automatically saves back to the same location.

Hi @StuartK any idea of what we might see come out of this? We used Xero doc packs before but their change in pricing is causing me to review our options for document signing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Jared Cordner - e-signing is definitely one of the most popular requests we have and it’s definitely up there on our list of features to build - but the popularity means that it means slightly different things to different people.
Right now I don’t have a timeframe to share though I’ll certainly update the thread with any details as it becomes clearer.

Userlevel 1

@StuartK - just stumbled across this thread. Any updates as of May 2023?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Kyle Beltle - it’s something we’re actively looking at at the moment - but a fairly broad and complex topic. Please do send me a note or share any specific needs you have around e-signing.

Userlevel 1

We use RightSignature because it is bundled with ShareFile but would love to be able to switch over both our client portal and e-signature solutions to a Karbon based solution. Would be lovely to have everything work cohesively together within Karbon. 

Userlevel 1

@StuartK - Our goal is to make tax engagement letters easier for our clients. Right now we send them an email from Karbon & then an email from RightSignature. If we could either put a link in the Karbon task to go to a third party site to sign (currently I don’t believe RightSignature supports this), or use Karbon to facilitate the Esignature, that would be ideal.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Our team uses Ignition for all client engagements and Docu-sign for e-signatures. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We use ignition for engagement letters and cpaperless safesendreturns for tax assembly/efile + their safesendsignature product (included) for odds and ends esign needs.

We do not need esign in karbon.

Userlevel 1

@Ashley Rhoden & @lbernstein: can you speak to how Ignition integrates with Karbon? Specifically, can paste a link to the engagement letter in a karbon task, or can the client trigger the engagement letter being emailed to them by completing an action in karbon?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Kyle Beltle Yes, you can paste a link to the engagement letter in a client task. We currently manage our engagements outside of Karbon. We send the EL directly from Ignition. We have Karbon and PI connected. We use Zapier to search Karbon for the client once the EL is executed, if it is a new client then Zapier creates the new client in Karbon. 

Our services are a 1-1 with our templates, and they are synced in Ignition. When a client signs the EL that integration between PI and Karbon creates the work items in Karbon based on the services that the client engaged for. We have a user setup in Karbon (work assignee for ignition) for the assignment of all work from PI that we never activated via the email link, so we aren’t paying for this user. But it helps us to separate what work is new from the existing work. The work is created based on the start and end date of the EL. 

I’m happy to answer any other questions you have about the Karbon/PI integration :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Ashley Rhoden this may be a silly question but why do you use zapier to create the client record in karbon? 

I believe the ignition<>karbon integration that creates the work item will also create the client record if there is not an exact name match in karbon = ignition EL client name.

We used to have duplicate client records created in karbon with this integration because of inconsistent use of commas ex. ABC Company LLC vs ABC Company, LLC where the comma after company create a new unique client record in Karbon and mapped the ignition templates to karbon work items.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@lbernstein This is the Zap we have “Create Karbon organization contacts for new accepted proposals in Ignition”. We turned this Zap on in early 2022 and since then I believe that the Integration between PI and Karbon has been updated. The zap essentially searches Karbon to see if it is an existing client, and it will update the contact, or add a new contact. I didn’t explain that well above, because you are right. Karbon and PI do sync together. We too found that we have to be very careful in the naming convention in both software's or you will get duplicates.

The other Zap I have is connecting our calendly to PI. “Create client in Ignition when invitee created in Calendly”. When a client schedules a discovery call the Zap creates the client in Ignition. If the client doesn’t move forward it is part of our process to remove them from Ignition, but this helps in reducing errors in naming clients. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We have five e-signing scenarios:

• Engagement letters
  • Out of scope proposals
  • From W-9 (this is a fill and sign document with conditional formatting to force correct data entry)
  • Form 8879 (requires IRS-compliant signer ID verification)
  • Rep letters for financial statements

I would love to have this built into client requests. 😁

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We have been using PandaDoc this year. This allows us to send out documents for e-signing via e-mail when that makes the most sense (i.e., sending out an engagement letter to kick off an annual corporate engagement).

It also allows us to generate a link to the document that we can embed in a client request within Karbon. For example, I have a client request template that has one task for the client to watch the Loom video overview of their financials and taxes, another task to review several attached draft documents, and a third task to click into the Pandadoc link and sign their documents.

I’m not sure it always makes sense for a customer to receive an e-signature request through a karbon client request, so PandaDoc’s platform was an appealing addition to our toolkit. (They also met a number of our other criteria, including the ability to add SMS verification for sensitive documents. It was hard to find an option that had MFA security options AND the option to send an e-signature out via URL rather than e-mail.)

@Nicole Gordon - this thread is worth a view

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I use Cognito forms for Engagement letter, Questionnaire, ACH debit for monthly clients, new client contact form, transfer form, & authorization to share info. We use Go proposal for new monthly clients, Safesend for 8879 signatures. Cognito uses links so we send the Eng letter & Questionnaire link in a client task along with the doc upload as our organizers (sent Jan 15th). 

Userlevel 1

Is there ANY scenario in Karbon today that requests and retrieves e-signatures using the Client Request function? We would be happy to implement any workaround that doesn’t require us to send the client a separate email outside of Karbon to request a signature.

We currently use Adobe’s Request E-Signatures feature.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there ANY scenario in Karbon today that requests and retrieves e-signatures using the Client Request function? We would be happy to implement any workaround that doesn’t require us to send the client a separate email outside of Karbon to request a signature.

We currently use Adobe’s Request E-Signatures feature.

@Stephen Roos As far as my (very limited) Karbon knowledge go, there is not way through Karbon to get E-signature on documents directly.

We also use Adobe's solution, as I already have paid Adobe subscription, but I recently started to use the build in E-Sign request out of Dropbox, as I found Adobe's solution to have sometimes don't work as well.

There might be very way with integrations to send client a client request through Karbon with link to doc to sign, but not sure if this is possible or difficult to setup for each instance where e-sign is required.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have five e-signing scenarios:

• Engagement letters
  • Out of scope proposals
  • From W-9 (this is a fill and sign document with conditional formatting to force correct data entry)
  • Form 8879 (requires IRS-compliant signer ID verification)
  • Rep letters for financial statements

I would love to have this built into client requests. 😁

Client Tasks Types with E-signature being one type, would work great for this!  Just don't know how difficult that will be to bring in terms of programming required 🙂