Question

How do I change the Base Template in Repeating Work?

• 28 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Can anyone help me with this? I’m getting a little frustrated.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is - when I take a basic template and customize it specifically for a client, and save the customized template… how do I update the repeating work to use that (new) customized template…. when originally I used the “standard” template - just to get the WORK in and repeating.

Thanks,

Cynthia

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Cynthia Vincze ... That Base Work Template field is only for informational purposes so you know what template was used to create that Work… is just what I wanted to know - thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

awesome points @BrooksW - some of our templates change somewhat frequently (quarterly tax planning, business/individual returns), however there are many others that change less frequently and there is definitely value for those carrying over the customizations to the future work.

For client-specific customizations we are never entering those at the template level, only the work level. But for changes that will impact the entire group, we make those on the template level and then reset the work items to reflect that new template.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@BrooksW  - thank you SO MUCH for explaining that!!! Perhaps @Victoria Peters & @Kim Clemmer can learn from this too 🤓

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Cynthia Vincze Think of your templates as the foundation that you use to build each of your client’s Work off of.  Once you create a new Work for a client using a template as the starting point, then customize it for that client.  When you turn on the repeating schedule, those changes will then carry forward to all future Work for that client.

For my firm, templates are not changed very often because they are just the starting point that new Work is built from.  Also, keep in mind that once new Work is created from a template, it never refers back to that template ever again.  If you make changes to the template, it won’t affect anything on the Work that was setup using that template.  That Base Work Template field is only for informational purposes so you know what template was used to create that Work.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@BrooksW thanks for your response! In my example I’m using a standard work template “bookkeeping” and then customizing the template for each client as I go. I am under the impression that I need to Save/Publish a new “template” for each client because the tasks are different….??? I’m a Newb (capital N!!!) so I don’t know if this is what I’m supposed to be doing…. let me know what you think - 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Cynthia Vincze If you customize the the Work for the current period, it will carry forward any changes to future periods without having to customize the base template.  If you do want to customize a base template, then apply it to a repeating schedule, that is something that Karbon has to assist with.  I have done this a few times when we redesign a standard recurring Work and need to roll it out to all clients.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hii @Cynthia Vincze, we have struggled with this as well.  There is no way to update the template in an existing repeat cycle.   When we have to make this kind of change we stop the repeat on the ‘wrong’ template and create a new repeating schedule with the new template.

I would also happily upvote such a feature request.

If it is client specific customization you will need to go to the next work order(s) that are already created in the repeat cycle and reset them choosing to The Previous Work Item since it has the customizations that you want to carry forward.  This may have other frustrations that impact your use.

Hope this helps,

V

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Cynthia Vincze! I have not found a way to change the template that a work item is attached to unfortunately. I’ve searched a bunch myself, because I run into this from time to time, and wish we could change the template the work item is attached to. If it's attached to the correct template, but you want to make changes in that template, you can reset the job to the updated template. I’m sorry I don’t have more helpful info! If you put in a feature request (https://community.karbonhq.com/ideas) I’ll definitely vote for it!