Folder Structure

• 28 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

By the chance of the implementation of connection of Karbon to our DMS-sharepoint, I am re-thinking our folder structure. Due to we are full service provider,  there are too many level of folders and I cannot think of a way to avoid that, below is a typical folder structure and level we currently have:

First level folder: client name

2nd level: service type (ie, bookkeeping, financial report, income tax return, ad-hoc advice, etc

3rd level: no.of financial year ,ie FY2022, FY2023, etc.

4the level: if the work is monthly, there will be month no., e.g., July, August and so on and so forth

5th level: nature of document, ie, workpaper, client PBC,  review documents etc.

What I am thinking specifically:

• Anyway to avoid using the folder, but we can still file the documents in an organized way and can search and find files very quickly when needed. I thought of Metadata, however, don’t know exactly how that is implemented 
  • If still using folder structure, is there any other better structure, like the first level, should it better be client name, or start with the service type ?
  • Any other good way of file structure I haven’t think of?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

That’s an issue that we are working through in our company as well.

Right now I’m thinking:

1. Client name
    1. Work type
      1. Work item name
        1. Original Docs
        2. Filed Returns

1. Acme Processing
    1. Bookkeeping Recurring
      1. April 2022 Sales Tax
        1. Original Docs
        2. Filed Returns
        3. {workpapers go in the April 2022 Sales Tax folder}
      2. April 2022 Bookkeeping
        1. {workpapers go in the April 2022 Sales Tax folder}
      3. etc.
    2. Business Tax Return
      1. 2022 Partnership Income Tax Return
        1. Original Docs
        2. Filed Returns
      2. 2021 Partnership Income Tax Return
        1. Original Docs
        2. Filed Returns

What I hope to do is have the work item folder automatically linked to the work item to get to the files in one click. I also want the client-level folder to automatically link to the client profile. I want Karbon to be how we search for files. Does that make sense?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

We are working with this as well.

Our folder structure is a little different.  We go by year so that we can archive and then eventually purge easier.

Client Name

Permanent Files

YYYY 

Accounting

Workpapers

Docs named YYYY.MM.DD <NAME>

Deliverables

Payroll

Month

Tax

Original Files

Doc Names

Tax

Docs named YYYY.MM.DD Tax Support

Docs named YYYY Tax Form # - Client Name

Then repeat for each year.

Still figuring out the document flow in our structure or if we will need to modify.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We have a folder structure very similar to @kylenecarse, however we’ve been using Google Drive and (obviously) not connected to Karbon. Due to the Karbon integration with Sharepoint as well as a few other business/technology reasons, we are seriously considering a transition to MS Sharepoint for our DMS. So I’m curious how things have worked out for @kylenecarse@MikeLiang and others who may be actually using Karbon with a connected Sharepoint DMS. Any lessons learned you are willing to share?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It bothers me that you need to set up the SharePoint folder connection for every repeat item.

I would much prefer a global setting for how folders get created for contacts (based on contact type), and work. I would like to add specific folders like a “_Perm” folder, “Original Docs” folder, etc. based on the work type. The only option at this point for automatically adding folders is to set it up in the recurring work, and the dates function lacks customization such that you cannot do +/- start date, etc. like you can with the work names.

I’ve tried it on a couple work items where I set up the following structure:

• Client
    • Work Type (“Recurring Bookkeeping”)
      • Work Item Name (“2023 Feb Sales Tax”)
        • Original Docs
          • {Karbon docs go here}
        • {Work Paper Files}
        • Filed returns (must create manually)
          • {Filed return docs}

Overall, my team doesn’t like it so they use their own template structure and do not connect work to DMS.

Things I would need to use:

• Global settings for all work and clients created with filters and settings based on client and work type
  • Greater customization in folder structure
    • year +/- days from start/due date
    • month number +/- days from start/due date
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Overall, my team doesn’t like it so they use their own template structure and do not connect work to DMS.

This is my greatest fear. It seems that the connection between Work and the DMS has to be rock solid, logical, automated, etc…or it is completely useless.

We currently have (and I suspect others do as well) an automated process to create the DMS folder tree for every client for every year. I can’t imagine having to manually go though and map work items to all of these folders. But I also can’t see how Karbon could provide the level of customization needed to automate this and accommodate the nuances of every customer.

So @max sounds like you guys have made a decision (for the time being) to keep your operational DMS independent from Karbon. And do you have a separate client portal also?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Smitty  I have to say the connection to Sharepoint is currently not a fully functioning feature. There is no doubt that the feature will be improved, the matter is when, since last releasing of the connection to sharepoint, there is no update for 6 months already.

Why I said it is not fully functioning? Because a lot of important feature are missing:  while you are able to connect the document tab to sharepoint folder, I do expect other feature which are missing:

• you cannot update or edit file directly in karbon, you still need to do sharepoint and edit there, or to download it and edit and then re-upload.
  • you can not create any folder or any new files in karbon, you still need to create offline, and then upload
  • there is no folder template feature
  • there is no document template.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So @max sounds like you guys have made a decision (for the time being) to keep your operational DMS independent from Karbon. And do you have a separate client portal also?

Our DMS is separate. I am considering automating it with the API, but it’s on the back burner for now.

We use Karbon portal and we use OneDrive “Request Files” feature for a drop box for clients that have trouble with Karbon’s portal or want to upload ad hoc stuff. That’s rare, though. We are virtually 100% Karbon portal and love it.

I would also add that with proper planning, the folder structure could be connected with recurring work. Our staff just don’t like the change. It’s not a bad idea, in my opinion, to have a structure like:

• Client
    • Work Type1
      • Work Name1
      • Work Name2
      • Work Name3
    • Work Type2
      • Work Name1
      • etc.

It’s just pretty different from our current system and doesn’t accommodate non-recurring work.