Question

Finding Unassigned Tasks in Work

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey Karbon Family!

Is there an easy way to find Unassigned tasks in work? When setting up some tasks/repeating I chose “assign later”. Where can I find these to correct them?  I realize now this was an error...oops!

Thanks, 

Cynthia

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Cynthia Vincze If you had set up roles and budgets in the template it will show on a per-work item basis in the Budget tab as “Unassigned”. Unfortunately, I don’t know of a way to see this for all work items at once, or as a summary if you don’t have roles/budgets on a work item.

This definitely sounds like it would be useful - you could create a feature request so that Karbon can see it’s something you’re after. Please post the link to the feature here too and I’ll vote on it!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I wish I could filter my workflow by assignee, and it also show “unassigned”

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I wish I could filter my workflow by assignee, and it also show “unassigned”

All work is assigned to “Someone.” Work cannot be unassigned. Is it possible that you mean tasks within a work item that is not assigned?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yeah, that could be. I opened up each organization and looked at the work tab, then I saw that there was someone assigned to each “work item”. I think you’re right, maybe a few tasks may not be assigned. What if any, are the repercussions of not assigning a task (within work)? If any?

I really appreciate the help and guidance 🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

What if any, are the repercussions of not assigning a task (within work)? If any?

Hi @Cynthia Vincze 

When we have unassigned tasks within a work order we have an ‘unwritten’ policy that the assignee on the full work order is responsible for those tasks.

The problem shows up in areas like My Week - the work order will appear in the Assignee’s My Week with the notice that there are No Tasks Assigned.

There is also the risk that everyone on the work assumes someone else is looking after those tasks.

If the full work order is to be completed by one person, we have let assigning tasks slide since that person know they are responsible for all tasks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Victoria Peters, I like the “unwritten policy” you have, be essentially do the same thing.  

It seems we are continually refining our SOP templates so we can add the assigned tasks inside the work item when the work items are set up on those.

Then, it is a matter of being intentional about how we set up future work items.  We also have a template for when I set up work for my team.  It already has the “role” in the work item and assigned to the instruction task, then an additional “blank” task, so when we add the person assigned to the role, they are assigned to the task.

Of course we still have to remember to add the assignee to any added tasks, but it gets us a little further at the set up of the work item so we don’t have to remember so many things.

It would be great to have a way to look for unassigned tasks, to monitor those and assign as appropriate.

It reminds me of using “classes” in QBO.  When we use classes, we are careful to make sure every transaction/line item has a class assigned to it (if it’s not “special” it’s just “General” or “Operating” and EVERY transaction must have a class assigned, if not, we review and classify. 

Would love to know what tasks are unassigned easier in Karbon so we can apply the same concept.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@David Perry @Victoria Peters ….ok - so what is the process to ask the Karbon developers to add the feature of identifying/filtering for  unassigned tasks, to monitor those and assign as appropriate? I’m newer to Karbon, so I’m not familiar with the process 😉

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Cynthia Vincze, you can select “feature ideas” from the top of the community page, and it will lead you here: https://community.karbonhq.com/ideas

Then, there is a button to “Submit an Idea” 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@David Perry @Victoria Peters - No time like the present - I’ve added the Feature Idea. Please have a look and upvote. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Here’s the feature idea:

😀

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thank you @max, and great feature idea @Cynthia Vincze!  I could see this as being useful for sure!