Question

Employee Personal Emails in Contacts

• 6 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello! We onboard our employees using a workflow we created. Often times their personal email is attached to the workflow given the communications are pre-employment. Some of our staff is having their personal emails show up in other colleagues contacts. 

Has anyone had this happen? Do you know why this happened? Should the staff that keeps being shown their colleagues personal email just archive that contact? 

Any input is appreciated as we have not run into this before.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Melissa Balletta, welcome to the Karbon community!! 😊

We have a similar workflow with our staff. What we do is mark the staff contact private like this:

Not even the staff can see their own contact. Only managers and HR have access. We use it to send important emails that should go to the personal email address. We also add work to the contact like professional development plans and things that the manager should be tracking to make sure the staff are progressing at our company.

Even if someone tries to add the email and make another contact, Karbon won’t allow it, and no one will see the contact unless they are given access.

I’m not sure if that helps. I’m curious how others handle this situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@max this is an interesting way to handle it! Do you do this for everyone as they go through the hiring process (to track the interview/recruitment process/details), or just once they are hired?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We do it for everyone. Our hiring process is in Karbon. We’ve seen two benefits from it:

• We stay on platform
  • Every staff member goes through Karbon’s client-facing experience when they come on board, something none of the legacy staff have seen.

The “contacts” are set to private when we create them for the first interview with an “Applicant” contact type.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We do it for everyone. Our hiring process is in Karbon. We’ve seen two benefits from it:

• We stay on platform
  • Every staff member goes through Karbon’s client-facing experience when they come on board, something none of the legacy staff have seen.

The “contacts” are set to private when we create them for the first interview with an “Applicant” contact type.

We do this as well. We created a team called “recruiting team” that we only have a very select group that can view it. That team gets added to the contact as a “client team” and then we set to private. That way, when we offboard someone that may be on that recruiting team, their team assignment isn’t reassigned to someone else and the contact stays private.

We utilize one work item we created for the recruitment piece that the recruiter can message with the hiring manager if needed. That brings them into that work only for that one candidate. The client of that work is the candidate with the personal email address and it’s assigned to our recruiter. Built into this process is a yes/no process to determine if the remaining onboarding and prep for the new hire is to begin with the onboarding team.

So, even if the hiring manager is at mentioned on the work or included in communications, they can’t find the candidate contact in Karbon by searching. Only communications and work they were included on. We still don’t have salary and other types of discussions or documentation stored in Karbon just as a safety measure for confidentiality. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @Melissa Balletta, welcome to the Karbon community!! 😊

We have a similar workflow with our staff. What we do is mark the staff contact private like this:

Not even the staff can see their own contact. Only managers and HR have access. We use it to send important emails that should go to the personal email address. We also add work to the contact like professional development plans and things that the manager should be tracking to make sure the staff are progressing at our company.

Even if someone tries to add the email and make another contact, Karbon won’t allow it, and no one will see the contact unless they are given access.

We actually do the same. It is set to private and only those who have access to the HR group can access it. That included myself and the owner. However, our colleagues are still getting their personal email addresses in the contact list of some staff. I am not sure if it’s because a previous employee put the personal emails into the work item? She attached them to the timeline and I am wondering if it fed in through triage? We are so lost as to why this is happening. 

Userlevel 2

• We stay on platform

We do this as well. We created a team called “recruiting team” that we only have a very select group that can view it. That team gets added to the contact as a “client team” and then we set to private. That way, when we offboard someone that may be on that recruiting team, their team assignment isn’t reassigned to someone else and the contact stays private.

We utilize one work item we created for the recruitment piece that the recruiter can message with the hiring manager if needed. That brings them into that work only for that one candidate. The client of that work is the candidate with the personal email address and it’s assigned to our recruiter. Built into this process is a yes/no process to determine if the remaining onboarding and prep for the new hire is to begin with the onboarding team.

So, even if the hiring manager is at mentioned on the work or included in communications, they can’t find the candidate contact in Karbon by searching. Only communications and work they were included on. We still don’t have salary and other types of discussions or documentation stored in Karbon just as a safety measure for confidentiality. 

This is exactly how ours is set up. I think something happened when the emails came through Triage and were attached to the work item. That seems to be the only logical explanation why their personal email is in Karbon. We don’t have them go through the work item as a new employee since they have to go through Karbon training and become certified first. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Melissa Balletta, welcome to the Karbon community!! 😊

We actually do the same. It is set to private and only those who have access to the HR group can access it. That included myself and the owner. However, our colleagues are still getting their personal email addresses in the contact list of some staff. I am not sure if it’s because a previous employee put the personal emails into the work item? She attached them to the timeline and I am wondering if it fed in through triage? We are so lost as to why this is happening. 

If you check the client team on the details page of the private person client, you should see a list of staff that have access to the contact. People can gather there if they have been attached to work or made a part of the client team through a work item. You should be able to remove them from the client on the details page without tracking down each work item.

Are there extra staff on your client team?