Solved

Email Insights and Volume of Emails in Triage

• 10 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I use Volume of Emails in Triage as a way to monitor if my team is getting through their daily traige. I really push the message that triage should be cleared out daily.

Being a leader who tries to lead by example, I make sure that my traige is cleared daily -- with the exception of vacation, I make an effort to clear daily.

So I go to check the leaderboard today and I find that I’m leading the pack on the number of emails in triage...92 emails! I can count cleared emails and I know that at no poinit this week have I had 92 emails in a day or even during the entire week. 

How is this metric being calculated and when is the data polled to update the Insight? 

icon

Best answer by Erin Jamison 16 December 2020, 23:52

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey @mikedoan thanks for your question! I’ve reached out to one of engineers for assistance on this question and it looks like you’ve helped us find a bug - Thank you!! :smile:

They’ve identified the bug to be related to low priority, we expect there to be a fix in the next release! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thats great that the bug has been found but, actually, knowing how the metrics in email insights might be useful.

especially the days to reply calculation.  We seem to have a very high number of hours to reply despite actually clearing triages and replying quickly to some and slightly longer to others.

Also, are internal comments included or is it just incoming/outgoing messages and does the low priority box include in the metric (as this can contain spam or newsletters that generally dont get replied too)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @Daniel McGuren 

Thanks for the follow up questions! I’ve reached out to our Product team to get some more insight.  Because internal comments aren't emails, they won’t be included whereas the low priority section is included. If low priority messages haven’t been replied to, it will not be included in the response time calculation.

This applies to everything - if you don't reply, you didn't respond and it's not included.

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Coming back to this post. It’s my understanding that client task comments are split in how they are included in the reply metrics. 

1. If a client responds in a comment bubble, it's not counted as a reply. No email is sent. We just see a notification in triage.
  2. If a team member replies in a comment bubble, an email reply is generated within the email thread of that client task and is counted.

So you can see how that could skew the reply stats. Is this correct? Have there been any updates to email insights in the past year on how and what drives the stats?

Hi,

How do I keep the Average Email Response Time bar low?

I know in myself that I am responding to emails within 24 hours. But the bar is always showing high time in hours.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

How do I keep the Average Email Response Time bar low?

I know in myself that I am responding to emails within 24 hours. But the bar is always showing high time in hours.

Thank you!

You won’t believe it… if you reply to a client promptly and the client doesn’t reply, so a while later you follow them up with a reply after your last one, it counts the second message as a really slow reply by you (e.g. from the client’s last email date to your most recent email date).

It’s designed to catch the situations where someone quickly replies with “I’ll reply next week” and then does, but it screws the metric for people who follow up an email they sent that was never responded to 😢

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Coming back to this post. It’s my understanding that client task comments are split in how they are included in the reply metrics. 

1. If a client responds in a comment bubble, it's not counted as a reply. No email is sent. We just see a notification in triage.
  2. If a team member replies in a comment bubble, an email reply is generated within the email thread of that client task and is counted.

So you can see how that could skew the reply stats. Is this correct? Have there been any updates to email insights in the past year on how and what drives the stats?

I wouldn’t think comments ever count in the metric… 🤔

Even if I comment on a client task, a new email is sent to the client telling them I’ve added a comment, but it’s not a reply to an email from them, so it doesn’t count in the reply timeframe.

Hi, does anyone know how the metric is being calculated for the average response time? 

From what I understand, comments responses are not included in the calculation. Is this correct? I would like to find out what the exact metrics are. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Anzelle Strydom,

When you/a colleague replies (email) to someone, Karbon calculates the time between your email and the email you are replying to. It adds all of these times together and divides it by the number of email replies you’ve sent. This is the average response time.

It’s important to note the following:

If you send a second reply to an email (i.e. someone sends you an email, you reply once, then you reply again before they have emailed you), this is counted as two replies.

Example 1:

8.00am John Smith emails you

8.30am you reply to John Smith

Average response time is 30min

Example 2:

9.00am John Smith replies to your email

10.00am you reply to John Smith’s second email

Average response time is 45min ( ( 30min + 60min ) / 2 emails)

Example 3:

10.00am you send another email to John Smith on the same thread

Average response time is 1h 15min ( ( 30min + 120min ) / 2 emails)

Does that help? 🙂

Thank you @SamG, this is very helpful. 

Would comments be considered when calculating the response time, or does this only apply for email responses? 

Another question is, would not responding to low priority/spam emails affect the average response time? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you @SamG, this is very helpful. 

Would comments be considered when calculating the response time, or does this only apply for email responses? 

Another question is, would not responding to low priority/spam emails affect the average response time? 

My understanding is email responses only 🙂

If you don’t reply to an email (regardless of where it is sitting), it is not included in metrics (so does not affect average response time). Only your email replies are included in the metric (all email replies, including to Low Priority email threads) 🙂