Question

Creating Work specific to me in Karbon

• 28 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m brand new to Karbon so please forgive me if this question is a bit basic but I’m looking to embrace the system and live in at as much as I can!  To that end I’m trying to replicate my to do list (currently on One-Note) in Karbon.  The issues I have are:

1. I can’t for the life of me work out how to create a recurring task.  I know you can because I’ve seen the screen previously but whenever I try and set up a new piece of “work” it doesn’t seem to be an option.
  2. How do I create a piece of work that isn’t assigned to a client (as applies to most of my work given I’m the Founder / Commercial Director)?  Again, when I try and create a new piece of “work” I can’t seem to do so until I have filled in the “Client” field.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Matthew Gambold, welcome to the Karbon community! 😁

Short answer to your question about setting up repeating work is to click this button after you create the work item:

You can find more details here: https://help.karbonhq.com/en/articles/6096234-setup-repeating-work-on-a-schedule

As for how to add work not related to a client, I make “clients” in contacts for different contexts. I have one for myself to which I assign work that’s for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Welcome to Karbon @Matthew Gambold 

Like @max I have set up an internal contact for myself. It is Hidden and an Internal contact (I used my role as the name of the contact since using my name would be problematic).  By setting the privacy to Hidden I can securely park items there for my eyes only.

Under this contact I have created several work orders that are not related to clients (internal reporting prep, setting up regular meetings, Newsletter creation...) but are key to me staying on top of my work.  Some have repeating schedules, some are parking lots for emails.

This way My Week populates for me and I don’t have to rely on my memory!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

(I used my role as the name of the contact since using my name would be problematic)

Interestingly enough, you can assign a Colleague (yourself or another) as the Client on a Work item (without creating a new contact) 🙂 but! It doesn’t work like a normal contact, so when you click it, it goes to your Colleague profile, not a contact page with a Timeline and Work tab etc 

Userlevel 1

Thank you everyone for your comments.  I’ll try out your various suggestions and figure out what works best for me!