Question

Contact Update Details Through The Webhook

• 30 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

When getting a webhook that a Contact/Organization/Group was updated, is there a way to see what exactly was updated? Which field?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

No. šŸ˜• But I think itā€™s standard practice. The webhook is extremely lite.

My webhook handler takes the webhook information and immediately makes a GET request for entityā€™s full information. Iā€™m adding that information to an Azure database. I can see what changed by accessing the past records added to the database and comparing them chronologically.

Itā€™s a lot of work if you are interested to see what changed in a contact. I only intend to use the historical data to track time in status for work items. All of my contact updates overwrite existing data and donā€™t keep track of changes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks @maxĀ .

I need it for one reason. If the name is updated in Karbon, then I want to update the name in QBO.

I guess I can accomplish that by checking in QBO if the name matches. If it doesn't, it should update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ah, that makes sense. I ended up implementing a lot of ā€œsearch for x thenĀ add/update/ignore as necessaryā€ sub-routines. It takes a little more processing and setup, but itā€™s much more robust and corrects itself over time if a webhook doesnā€™t fire or some other issue causes the data not to flow properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

One thing I havenā€™t done yet but that might help with this is to add the Karbon key in XML or JSON to the notes in QBO and use that to search, compare, update, or add.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

One thing I havenā€™t done yet but that might help with this is to add the Karbon key in XML or JSON to the notes in QBO and use that to search, compare, update, or add.

That is actually what Iā€™m working on now. I created a custom field in QBO and added the Karbon ID to easily search, update, map in Power BI, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Iā€™m curious how that will work. I have not played with the QBO API or Zapier connections very much.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Iā€™m curious how that will work. I have not played with the QBO API or Zapier connections very much.

I will let you know once itā€™s done.Ā