Question

Client Task e-mail - Modify default template & remove checklist

• 5 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi all,

We’d love to use the client tasks functionality within our firm, but have found with our first few tests clients are just replying to the email and answering the checklist items/attaching documents rather than clicking through to the portal.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to force a login? - Our clients typically have multiple entities, forcing a login will ensure they see all open requests attached to their email at one time.
  2. Is it possible to modify the firm-wide template for client tasks to remove the preview of the checklist, this will force the client to click the link/login to see the open tasks.
  3. Is there a hack which can ‘send’ the client queries to the portal but not send an email at all to the client, we can then send a manual email directing them to login and answer the queries?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

What we did in our firm to help with this (though it’s still an issue to some extent), is that we spent the better part of a year communicating with our clients that we do not accept attachments because of the data security risk. We then turned on an automation that replied to emails with attachments warning the client that we did not receive their email because it contained an attachment (need to filter to allow common email attachments, like photos from signatures or email tracking software). Our bounce-back automation also alerted the staff member to whom the email was directed, letting them know who sent the email so they could follow-up via phone to get the documents securely.

Is it possible to force a login? - Our clients typically have multiple entities, forcing a login will ensure they see all open requests attached to their email at one time.

No

Is it possible to modify the firm-wide template for client tasks to remove the preview of the checklist, this will force the client to click the link/login to see the open tasks.

No

Is there a hack which can ‘send’ the client queries to the portal but not send an email at all to the client, we can then send a manual email directing them to login and answer the queries?

I’m not advising this path, but you could send the client tasks to an internal email and then copy/paste the “Manage Checklist” link to a manual email. I have done this in the past on a few occasions. Be sure not to actually click the link or you will burn it and beware that if the client waits to take action on the email, click the link will result in a new link sent to your internal email, not the client.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Shaun Farrugia,

We sometimes have clients reply to the email as well, rather than the checklist.

It’s not usually been a problem.. sometimes the client might complain when they receive a reminder, but then we explain (as the template does) that they need to mark the task as complete as well.

Another way to force a login is to use External comments. This sends an email that a client can only see by opening the checklist 🙂 we follow up with external comments rather than an email reply (where necessary)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Another way to force a login is to use External comments. This sends an email that a client can only see by opening the checklist 🙂 we follow up with external comments rather than an email reply (where necessary)

Hey Sam, thanks for the reply.

something may have changed on this one. I tested this out and could see the external comments without being logged in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I think @SamG’s strategy is to get the client to use the portal instead of emailing back and forth. There’s no way to force clients to log in as far as I know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Bingo @max!

All three (a b and c) of your requests @Shaun Farrugia could make a good feature idea 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Bingo @max!

All three (a b and c) of your requests @Shaun Farrugia could make a good feature idea 🙂

Great Idea!