Client task but only with email

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’ve got an idea where when a work item hits a certain stage, such as:

• Books closed each month; 
  • Tax return in for review; 
  • Tax return ready for signature;
  • etc.

That an email automatically sends to the client.

Currently for our month-end close work item, I’ve got a client task as the last section so that the bookkeeper can send an email to the client saying their books are now closed. 

On top of this, even if it’s not possible to automatically send this when the last internal task is completed, it would be awesome to send the notification but without an actual client task. More like an email being sent but associated with a specific work item. That way the client doesn’t need to login and mark off the task. 

I was looking through the API documentation to see if there’s a way to send an email but it doesn’t look like it. That might’ve worked because the email would be associated with the work item it’s being sent about to notify the client of a change in the work item status that they may want to know about. 

Any ideas on this one? 

I may submit this as a feature request as well. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Go vote! 😀

I love the idea. In my mental road map, I want to implement an API-driven automatic email for our 1040s next year that sends out an email with a link to the questionnaire when the work item goes from planned to ready to start.

The documentation does not currently mention it, but there’s a web hook that will fire when work changes status. You can have a web hook handler or web function take that input and send your automatic email.

Does that make sense?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Yup, that makes sense. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve got an idea where when a work item hits a certain stage, such as:

• Books closed each month; 
  • Tax return in for review; 
  • Tax return ready for signature;
  • etc.

That an email automatically sends to the client.

Currently for our month-end close work item, I’ve got a client task as the last section so that the bookkeeper can send an email to the client saying their books are now closed. 

On top of this, even if it’s not possible to automatically send this when the last internal task is completed, it would be awesome to send the notification but without an actual client task. More like an email being sent but associated with a specific work item. That way the client doesn’t need to login and mark off the task. 

I was looking through the API documentation to see if there’s a way to send an email but it doesn’t look like it. That might’ve worked because the email would be associated with the work item it’s being sent about to notify the client of a change in the work item status that they may want to know about. 

Any ideas on this one? 

I may submit this as a feature request as well. 

Yes, please!  We would love to automate emails, without requiring client’s to check anything off.  This would also eliminate the “Completed” work issue, where clients cannot access tasks/narrative after the item has been marked “Completed.”