Solved

Client ID Numbers

• 29 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everybody! Quick question regarding the Client ID Number. I work for a bookkeeping company and outside of Karbon, we’ve not used Client ID Numbers. What is it’s purpose and is it detrimental to the Karbon system? Thank you!! 

icon

Best answer by SamG 30 January 2024, 00:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Lauren Lewis . This would be for your internal use. Some firms use client numbers and I am sure some do not. For us, we use them as we have to have a client ID within our tax software. We just carry this ID out to Karbon. Helps keep staff straight when they are looking at documentation as all documents will start with the client ID and then the remainder of the naming convention in use.

Not determinantal within Karbon if you choose it is not necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What is it’s purpose and is it detrimental to the Karbon system? Thank you!! 

We don’t use Client IDs at our firm 🙂 never caused an issue in Karbon. At my last firm we used a Client ID which was a combination of client’s last name and first name or first word of company/trust name plus start of other names.

E.g.

John Smith SMITJO

John Smith Family Trust JOHNSFT

This was especially useful when saving documents into the document management system and making time entries. Otherwise, full name did the trick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We use Client IDs as a unique reference to help maintain consistency between various systems. We are frequently downloading spreadsheets of data, and it becomes very hard to map the details between the various reports without a unique reference. For example, if a client name changes, or is spelled slightly differently, it makes it very hard to look up details in different sheets!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you @Rebecca Williams @SamG and @LD7E!! We used to use Monday.com for our work and have just switched over to Karbon, . We are a small firm and have never had the need for the ID. It might be something we create as we grow! Thank you for the time you all took to answer my question!!