Question

Billable and non-billable work

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello community - this may be a silly question but does anyone know how to set up work in Karbon so that my colleagues can only enter a certain task type on their timesheets?

Would this setting work on a work template?

With existing recurring work, how can I apply this setting?

Any help would be much appreciated! 

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We have several different task types, we add the task type that we would like them to use to the budget in the work. When they clock-in and out of the work item they know to look at the task type in the budget to ensure that their time entry correlates to the task type for the work item. 

By creating the task type in the budget this will show up in your repeating work items. You can also setup the budget on the work template. 

When approving time I then match the task type they selected to the work item title i.e. weekly bookkeeping work item should have weekly bookkeeping task type. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

We have several different task types, we add the task type that we would like them to use to the budget in the work. When they clock-in and out of the work item they know to look at the task type in the budget to ensure that their time entry correlates to the task type for the work item. 

By creating the task type in the budget this will show up in your repeat settings. You can also setup the budget on the work template. 

When approving time I then match the task type they selected to the work item title i.e. weekly bookkeeping work item should have weekly bookkeeping task type. 

I have added the task types to the budget in the work but people rarely look into this section, they usually enter their daily timesheets in one go from the clock icon on the top of the screen, which usually has all task types showing on the list. 

Ideally I’d like them to pick the Client > Work and then automatically the Role and Task Type to show - or perhaps this feature is not possible?

I can’t see in the task type in the repeat settings - are you able to send me a screenshot?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

That is not possible, but it would be a great feature request to ask for the task type and role to auto-populate based on the budget in the work item when selecting a work item from the clock!

The way I was discussing would require them to open the work item and enter their time from the budgets tab of the work item. 

To clarify - the task types don’t show in the “repeat settings” they show up in the repeating work’s budget. 

Another idea would be for you to add the task type to the work item name, this would ensure that they select the correct task type if they aren’t entering their time from the budgets tab in the work. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I have added the billing type to the title of the work and people still make mistakes when entering their timesheets 😭 You are right - I’ll send a feature request 👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I make a big deal about the task types being correct. We celebrate 🚫 errors when I am approving time! They also see what they’ve done wrong, because I decline their time and make the change which shows up in their triage. Keep pushing for excellence with your team, since we started tracking time in Karbon in January we’ve had about 2-3 weeks of no errors. The first couple weeks were tough but they do a really good job with it now!