Anyone using the API?

• 4 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
  • Sr. Karbon Community Guide
  • 1114 replies

Hi All,

I’m starting to dig into the API a bit and am having some trouble getting it off the ground. I’m a beginner, but a quick learner and I feel like I’m missing a small piece.

What I want to do is refresh my work list in an Excel document so I don’t have to keep exporting reports from Karbon for my capacity planning. I think I’m missing an important step in how Karbon authenticates the connection.

Here’s what I have for my query in Excel:

And here’s the error I’m getting:

I’ve tried a couple different things with no difference. I don’t want to hard-code the API Key to the query, but I’ll try that next to see if it works.

I did notice that when you use the copy function from the website, it pre/appends spaces to the string. I removed both spaces and it still won’t authenticate.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@max Are you still using the API and did you figure out your issue above?  I am curious if you are able to not only update work items but also create work items using the API?  I’m working on a new pricing template, that also helps us with all onboarding steps across all app, including Karbon contact and work creations.  I am just starting to dabble in the API, but would love to figure out how to link my spreadsheet to create contacts and work in Karbon!  I can dream right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I did figure it out. I added all of our year-end work this year via API. I am also updating work item statuses from the API.

I plan to release my Python scripts and instructions here on the community. 

I’d be happy to help with specific issues if you are trying to get done.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@max I will send a you a DM on this!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Eshah17 FYI, interesting thread on using Karbon’s API for capacity planning.